Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question concerning some specific protocol...

From: "Tobias Erichsen" <erichsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:48:46 +0200
The problem is that the port is not fix - the protocol(s) may run on
any ports.

Are protocols that are recognized automatically by Wireshark always
recognized by the port, not be the content of the datagrams?

I know that I can go on a sniffed packet and say "decode as" selecting
the protocol manually, but it would be cool to let wireshark/my protocol
plugin find it out automatically if it finds any packets that are
encoded according to the proprietary protocol and as soon as this fact
ist established, all packets for this udp-port-tuple will be decoded
by my plugin, even though some of the packets won't match the proprietary
signature (in this case I would know that it is RTP-data and decode accordingly)

Tobias