Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem dissection generic ASN1

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:49:00 -0700
Thomas Steffen wrote:

I agree that the dissector should be turned off as default, especially
given its slightly unstabled nature. However, it would still be nice
to have it show up in the "Decode as ..." list. Even if you don't have
an ASN.1 type table file, you can still use it to dissect simple
ASN.1.

I.e., the dissector should, if no type table is specified, just dissect the low-level BER items?

It should also, BTW, be converted to use the packet-ber.c routines, so that the ANSI MAP is the only dissector left using the asn1.c code (and then it'd be nice if that could be converted, so that we can get rid of asn1.c entirely).