Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A problem of adding a int preference prefs_register_uint_pre

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:42:01 -0700
chris.guo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I want to add a new preference for a protocol, it is an integer type,
the length is great than 8 bytes, but the function preference
prefs_register_uint_preference() can only register a int value less than
4 byte.

Presumably you meant "can only register a 4-byte integer value" - you can register a 4-byte integer value with values between 0 and 255, for example, but the variable is still a guint, which is 4 bytes on all the platforms I know of.

By "great[er] than 8 bytes", do you really mean you need to register an integer value that's longer than a guint64? If so, then, as Wireshark doesn't have any bignum support, you're out of luck. You'd have to register a string preference, and do all of the bignum stuff yourself.