Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Install failure at configure stage

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:08:02 +0200
On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 09:24:31AM +0800, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> >> checking for ucd-snmp/ucd-snmp-config.h... yes
> >> checking whether UCD SNMP includes sprint_realloc_objid... no
> >> configure: error: UCD SNMP requires -lcrypto but --with-ssl not specified
> >> [jbreher@martor wireshark-0.99.3a]$

> > What in the last line of configure containing the error: message
> > is hard to understand?
>
> Couldn't 'configure' not bother trying to pick up either of the SNMPs if
> --with-ssl isn't specified, instead of bailing like this?  This question
> comes up a decent amount...

well, the problem is that by default we do not enable --with-ssl because
of license incompatibilities beween the GPLv2 and the openssl license.
It's ok to distribute the source to build something like that yourself
but at least on some platforms it would be a breach of the GPL license.
It would be best if ucd/net snmp would build with gnutls instead of
openssl, but that's not how the real world is. I will check in a patch
later today to make the message easier to understand - that's all that
can be done about it.

 ciao
     Joerg