Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Related Information (again)

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme.lunt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:42:02 +0200
Ulf,

> I think it is probably already too busy, and could use a "do not display
> related info icon" option for experienced users. However, the icon space
> could be usefully used for a number of things.
>
> What do people think?

I would think that the icon should be displayed after (right side of
the) the field text.

I guess I am just used to seeing icons on the left (e.g. Explorer,
Outlook etc). And for long lines you would have to scroll to see if
there was an icon.
Though if they were on the right you could add further icons without
pushing the whole text to the right.

Can this be achieved?

I think so - I'll try it out for comparison.

Logically you would first read the text and then seek for related infos.

> Yep - probably a (i) icon.

The (i) icon is usually used for help pages.

But not currently in Wireshark.

The related info is a
slightly different topic (or not?). Still unsure.

The related information is generally definitions and explanatory text
of a given field. So in my use to date - they explain the
definition/usage of an OID and the ASN.1 definition of the field type.

Graeme