Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] problems linking lua with vc6

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:27:17 +0200
LEGO wrote:
Hi folks,

  I have been trying to build ws on win32 for a while and I find
myself with some problems:
 I build Lua 5.1.1 into a .lib, and then try link that lib into
libwireshark I get some unresolved symbol errors, specifically for:

    int __mb_cur_max;
    unsigned short* _pctype;
    int errno;
    double _HUGE;

Now as a workarround I added those few C lines to "fixup.c" and
bundled it into Lua511.lib now it looks like it works.

I see no errors, but I really do not know enough of how linking is
done and what will happen specially with errno and _HUGE (what
HUGE_VAL resolves into) are used (is the dup going to be ignored?).

However being these symbols from the standard lib (they couldn't have
come from anywhere else) I think that most probably I am doing
something wrong.

Has anybody seen something similar with VC6  (I've found some stuff in
the VC7 wiki page but that shouldn't apply).

Why do you build the lua binaries yourself? Just simply get them from: http://luabinaries.luaforge.net/packaging.html

*Win32_dll or **Win32_vc6 should do the job.*

Your workaround will very certainly not work correct and will make problems.

Regards, ULFL