Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Should we check value_strings for NULL termination while reg

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:21:54 +0000
That would be an awful lot of work since we would need to modify (add
registration of) all value_strings.

Barring we could convince the coverity guys to add a check "make sure
all arrays of the type value_string are terminated with {0,NULL}"
but that wouldnt help out of tree dissectors   nor can we rely on
coverity being available to us forever.

If we are making these changes  we might also at the same time try to
address the "linear search" property for the existing struct.
While most value_strings are small  there are some very very large
ones that are used very frequently such as the SMB NT status code
array.

Binary trees have both good and bad properties. They would be good for
managing these few very large value_strings efficiantly  but since
most of the value_strings are very small there would be a massive
memory overhead for these small value_strings where a linear search
would be quite sufficient.

(we could change the accessor/search function for value strings to
still keep it as a linear search array   but everytime something has
been looked up,  we swap some pointers and let the "found" entry
bubble upwards in the array to get it to automatically make sure at
runtime that the frequently looked up entries are always near the
start of the array and thus quick to find with a linear search)

Well   an easy way to make sure all of them are properly terminated
with a {0,NULL} is by using variadic macros.
Unfortunately not standard until c99   but been part of GCC forever.

#define VALUE_STRING(name, ...)		\
value_string_t name[] = {		\
	__VA_ARGS__			\
	{0, NULL}			\