Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] fopen vs. eth_fopen

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:04:25 +0200
Shelly Cadora wrote:
Haven't given up yet!
I compiled wireshark 0.99.4 with MSVC 2005 Express, but it crashed every time it tried to read a file opened with eth_fopen. So I experimented by changing all the eth_fopen calls to fopen. Now the program runs. But the problem is that I cannot open files! If I try to start a capture, I get an error saying "The file to which the capture would be save ("D:\DOCUME~1\scadora\LOCALS~1\Temp\etherXXXXE46EGT") could not be opened: No error." That file does get created in the correct directory, but apparently it can't be opened for some reason. If I try to open an existing capture file, I just get "The file "D:\[snip]" could not be opened: no error." I assume I've gotten myself in this mess because I changed the eth_fopen calls. Feels like a catch-22 -- eth_fopen causes a crash, but fopen doesn't work either. I'm about to enter the Slough of Despond here, so if anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I don't know for sure but that sounds like the zlib problem mentioned before.

See http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/MSVC7 if you can find a solution, never done this myself.

Regards, ULFL