Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] c-string dissector - desegmentation

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:50:27 -0700

On Sep 12, 2006, at 12:51 PM, Tomasz Noiński wrote:

Comments about "new_dissector_t" in packet.h say:

/*
 * Dissector that returns:
 *
 *  The amount of data in the protocol's PDU, if it was able to
 *  dissect all the data;
 *
 *  0, if the tvbuff doesn't contain a PDU for that protocol;
 *
 *  The negative of the amount of additional data needed, if
 *  we need more data (e.g., from subsequent TCP segments) to
 *  dissect the entire PDU.
 */

The first two clauses (after "Dissector that returns") of that comment are true (and there are places where the return value is used as a length, e.g. the GSSAPI dissector).

The third clause is false. The intent was to do that at some point, but it never happened. (It's probably the wrong thing to do - lengths should be unsigned, not signed.)

                                pinfo->desegment_offset = offset;
                                pinfo->desegment_len = 1;
                                return -1;

Try

				pinfo->desegment_len = tvb_length_remaining(tvb, offset) + 1;
				return tvb_length(tvb);

instead, or try making it not a "new-style" dissector (so it returns nothing) but still change the "pinfo->desegment_len" line in that fashion. Let us know whether that works. (I.e., I think the desegment_len might be releative to the desegment_offset.)

If it works, the example probably needs changing - and the API perhaps needs changing as well.