Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Query regarding a decoder function

From: prashanth joshi <prashanthsjoshi2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:30:54 -0700 (PDT)

prashanth joshi <prashanthsjoshi2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
In the following function,
what is pinfo _U_  (pinfo followed by a blank space and then _U_?
I am seeing such kind of variable for the first time.
Can i use instead packet_info  * ptr as a formal argument in decode_gtp_chrg_id?
And is the calling of function foo( ) correct? Wont it give compiler error fo rpinfo  _U_  ?
and can i use a local variable packet_info * p; and then
p = pinfo _U_ ;
Again wont this statement above generate compiler error?
Regards,
Prashanth.

static int
decode_gtp_chrg_id(tvbuff_t *tvb, int offset, packet_info *pinfo _U_, proto_tree *tree)
{
    foo(tvb, offset, pinfo _U_ , tree);
    return 5;
}

"Anders Broman (AL/EAB)" <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
If a field in a protocol is a string the easiest way to add it to the protocol tree is:
 proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_xx, offset,length, FALSE);

Example delaration of corresponding hf item:
{ &hf_gtp_apn,
    { "APN", "gtp.apn", FT_STRING, BASE_NONE,
     NULL, 0, "Access Point Name", HFILL }
},

I'm a bit curious as to what has been done to the GTP protocol. You can't just use a currently unused IE type and use it for private purposes
whitout breaking compabillity to other GTP stacks. The proper way to do it is to use the Private extension and put your stuff  there.

7.7.46 Private Extension
The Private Extension information element contains vendor specific information. The Extension Identifier is a value
defined in the Private Enterprise number list in the most recent "Assigned Numbers" RFC (RFC 1700 or later).
This is an optional information element that may be included in any GTP Signalling message. A signalling message
may include more than one information element of the Private Extension type.
Best regards
Anders