Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Proposed change to packet-tcp (tcp_dissect_pdus)

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:44:52 +0000
Is it sufficient to know which tcp port the packet came from in order
to decide which protocol it is?

If so,   you can get this info from the pinfo structure which is
available in the tcp_dissect_pdus() fucntion but not passed to the
get_pdu_len() helper.

Two possibilities:
either you can add a pinfo structure as argument to the get_pdu_len() fucntion
but that would change the signature and need a big patch to change all
its callers   (maybe this is the correct solution)

optionally    you can look at packet-ldap.c which has a similar problem.
packet-ldap.c  first detects whether SASL wrapping is present or not
and then calls either of two different tcp_dissect_pdus() with
different get_len/dissect_payload functions depending on whether the
payload is normal ldap or ldap wrapped inside sasl

you could solve this by
1, have one unique get_len/dissect_payload pair for each protocol that
is transported.
2, in the main dissector function, check pinfo for the ports that were
used in the tcp layer and then
call the appropriate tcp_dissect_pdus() function.

this is probably the easiest solution.

mvh
ronnie s