Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Need info of "recently" added: GNUTLS, KFW, NETTLE, LUA and

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:49:45 +1000
Kerberos decryption has been "standard" on unix/linux hosts for a long time since
most unix/linux distributions come with some sort of kerberos by default today.
Since the wireshark code needs access to internal apis inside the kerberos implementation this means
wireshark needs to know a fair bit about the internals of the kerberos toolkit.
Wireshark knows how and what functions to use for both MIT or Heimdal kerberos, where available.

On windows however,  there are few options for kerberos outside of microsofts own implementation
and i dont think there is any documentation on how to access the internal api inside whatever dll's
microsof implement their kerberos with.
This has meant that this feature has been missing for the windows platform for quite a while.

KerberosForWindows is merely a port of MIT kerberos that runs on windows  which allows wireshark to
provide this feature on the windows platform as well.

On 9/12/06, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> KFW
>
> what it is:
> Kerberos For Windows. A port of MIT Kerberos for the windows platform.
>
> what it is used for:
> It provides support to decrypt Kerberos, sealed DCERPC and secureLDAP.
>
> unix version: kfw is not used on unix builds.

Is it called differently, or is no Kerberos (and alike) dissection
available on *NIX platforms?

Regards, ULFL