Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Feedback: Wireshark User's Guide

From: Brian Drab <BrianD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:05:23 -0400

I thought I would pass on some more info I found that you may want to consider changing in the User Guide. I’m using 19086 for Wireshark 0.99.3.

  1. On the first page (the Title page) it has a comma after Ed Warnicke which I believe to be incorrect.
  2. Section 1.1.3 – It states “Despite its name, Wireshark can capture traffic…” I believe the “Despite its name” part can be taken out since the name is now Wireshark and not Ethereal.
  3. Section 1.2.2 – Suse Linux is listed. You may want to uppercase SUSE.
  4. Section 1.6.2 – It states “For example, there is an explanation how to capture…” I believe the word on is missing before the word how.
  5. Section 4.7 – It states “…so you will have a guide what to do:”. I believe the word of is missing before the word what.
  6. Section 4.9 – It states “The selection which protocols are counted cannot be changed.” I believe the word of is missing after the word selection.
  7. Section 5.2 – There is a word behaviour in there. I believe it should be spelled behavior.
  8. Section 5.2.1 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  9. Section 5.3.1 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  10. Section 5.4.1 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  11. Section 5.5 – It states “…the captured data is spreaded over several…” I believe the word spreaded should be spread. This is like this a second time in the last paragraph of the shaded block of info.
  12. Section 5.6.1 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  13. Section 5.6.2 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  14. Section 5.6.4 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  15. Section 5.6.5 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  16. Section 5.6.6 – Screen shot still from Ethereal.
  17. Section 6.2.1 – It states “The following table gives an overview which functions…”. I believe the word of is missing after the word overview.
  18. Section 6.2.2 – It states “The following table gives an overview which functions…”. I believe the word of is missing after the word overview.
  19. Section 6.2.3 – It states “The following table gives an overview which functions…”. I believe the word of is missing after the word overview.
  20. Figure 6.6 – Screen shot doesn’t really match the paragraph that explains it. The paragraph says packets 1-10 are hidden and that it starts with 11 however the screen shot shows starting at 14.
  21. Section 6.3 – It states “A list of such fields is available in the Wireshark in the Add _expression_…” Something needs changed here. Doesn’t sound correct.
  22. Section 6.5 – For the Cancel option it states “you can leave the Add _expression_… dialog box without any effect by clicking the Cancel”. I believe the word button is missing from the end.
  23. Section 7.5.2 – It states “The tooltip of the higher level protocol setting will note you if…” I believe the word note should be notify.
  24. Section 7.6 – It states “There are two possible ways to do this conversations…” I believe the word this would be these.
  25. Section 7.6.1 – It states “Name resolution can be invaluable while working with Wireshark and may save you even hours of work.” I believe this should be may even save you hours of work. Put the word even after may.
  26. Section 7.6.1 – It states “…because you can’t connect a name server…”. I believe the word to should be after the word connect.

Again I thought I would do my very small part in contributing to this fantastic product. Thank you.