Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Portability issue of capture files.

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 04:06:41 +0200
On 9/7/06, Andreas Fink <andreas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I recently compiled wireshark under MacOS X 10.4.7 on a intel machine. This
time I succeeded even with GTK+2 after fiddling with a lot of options.
I'm preparing an installer for it for users without "fink" or "darwin
ports".

But while using it, I find out a strange behaviour.

I'm capturing data on a linux machine (fedora5) with tcpdump -s0
-wdumpfile.cap. Transfer the file to the mac and try to open it with
wireshark. I get weird errors saying it couldnt open it because packet size
is bigger than 65k or something like that. Same is if I capture with
ethereal on that linux box and transfer the file to the mac. I can capture
on the mac fine with tcpdump and read it on the mac with wireshark but
whatever comes from that linux machine is not working.

Is this a endian problem maybe? I never had this issue with previous
versions of wireshark.
I built 0.99.3a.

I do not think so , I had the same symptoms and for me it was a
conflict between OSX's open-ssl and darwinports open-ssl. I never
solved it, I just built --without-netsnmp.

BTW I never understood why it happened, so if you do please tell me.
If you find a way to build with netsnmp without this problem tell me
too!

Luis

Andreas Fink
Fink Consulting GmbH
Tel: +41-61-6666332 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
E-Mail:  afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Homepage: http://www.finkconsulting.com
ICQ: 8239353
MSN: afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink