Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A question about ASN.1 encoding in wireshark

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme.lunt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:50:51 +0200
Hi,

By the way, I edit an ASN.1 message by ASN1VE, and tried to open it by
wireshark but it still can not decode the message correctly(can not show the
field name correctly). Is it right I open my ASN.1 based message directly by
wirshark? or I shall capture the TCP based ASN1 message I defined, then open
by wireshark?

Wireshark can open ASN.1 files but at present it will only display it
as "unknown" BER - just the basic tags. It will not currently use your
nice field names. So currently you need a capture.

However, this is something I would like to see and am currently
investigating a couple of different solutions - a user-selected
"decode ASN.1 as ..." and an automatic solution.

Graeme