Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wiretap: New MPEG file format

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:27:15 +0000
there are no rules for what should be plugins and what should be
normal dissectors.
if you want it to remain a plugin dissector then that is fine.

i belive however that normal dissectors may get slightly better
maintenance than plugin ones  since it is easier to grep for things if
it is in  epan/dissectors/

i personally never install wireshark but always run it out off the
build directory and as such personally never use (or build) plugin
dissectors.

since this does add a new filetype to wiretap  i think it would make
sense to have the dissector also part of the standard library.

On 8/25/06, Shaun Jackman <sjackman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/25/06, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you add the GPL boilerplate to some of the files that are missing it.

Yes. Can do.

> Why do you create a mpeg plugin directory?
> To me it looks like an normal dissector generated by asn2wrs and as
> such it is not a plugin.   am i missing something?

I do use asn2wrs to create packet-mpeg.c, but I built it as a plugin.
It could be built as a normal dissector though. Is a normal dissector
preferred to a plugin?

Cheers,
Shaun