Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] compiling wireshark without msvc

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:41:10 +0200
Manuel Jung wrote:
Hallo,

is there a possibility to use plugins which are compiled with cygwin (without MSVC!) with the windows version of wireshark?
If not is there a possibility to compile a plugin without MSVC6 and use it with the Windows version of wireshark?

regards manuel.
It should be possible to use plugins compiled under cygwin with the official Wireshark version, at least I don't see any reason against it. It's simply a DLL which is loaded from a specific directory.

However, please note that the plugin ABI isn't stable, so you need a plugin compiled together with the same version of Wireshark than of the plugin.

Please also note that the compilation under cygwin isn't well supported, some reported success while others failed (and I can't help you with this).

Regards, ULFL