Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Re-use of header fields

From: Benjamin M Stocks <BMStocks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:31:48 -0500

Greetings,
I have a question on the mechanics of the header fields in Wireshark. I am developing a dissector for a protocol where a specific data format may repeat from 1 -> N times within the same payload. Can I reuse the same header field identifier, registered with proto_register_field_array, for each of the individual data blocks within the same payload?

I doubt this is a unique property of this particular protocol, how have others dissected non-apriori defined quantities of repeating data fields within the same payload? Should I have a dissector for just the data format within the payload? Can I call the same dissector multiple times for the same packet?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

--
Benjamin M. Stocks