Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark-0.99.2 and OpenBSD 3.9

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 02:29:02 -0700
jjhartley@xxxxxxx wrote:

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/unix/openbsd-dell.html

Much of that stuff shouldn't be necessary.

One problem is that the OpenBSD folks, for better or worse, are, apparently, setting the open file limits lower than other UN*Xes, as he notes before discussing Wireshark.

Another problem is that he's generating his own Makefile.in files by using autogen.sh, rather than using the ones that come with the source tarball - the INSTALL and README files are written for people who are building from source only because there's no binary package, and are building from a release source tarball, not from people doing development or are building from SVN or an SVN tarball for whatever reason (the GNU autotools build release expect GNU make if you're a developer, but build release tarballs that don't require it). I've sent him mail asking why he's doing that.