Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Linker error creating library wiretap-0.3.lib

From: Benjamin M Stocks <BMStocks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:24:11 -0500

Greetings all,
I realized after reading the developer guide that Visual Studio .NET (VC7) and its C compiler is discouraged because of MSVCRT70.dll but I do not plan on distributing my builds beyond my immediate development team and really I just want to be able to modify/test an existing packet dissector.

That being said while building under Windows XP Professional I hit some linker errors just a few seconds into the build:

Creating library wiretap-0.3.lib and object wiretap-0.3.exp
buffer.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _memmove imported in function _buffer_assure_space
buffer.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _exit imported in function_buffer_remove_start
ascend-scanner.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _exit imported
catapult_dct2000.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _strncpy imported in function _catapult_dct2000_open
cosine.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _strncpy imported
ascend-scanner.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _strncpy imported
catapult_dct2000.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _atoi imported in function _parse_line
erf.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _atoi imported
vms.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _atoi imported
iseries.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _free imported in function _iseries_parse_packet
ascend-scanner.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _free imported
ascend-scanner.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _malloc imported in function _yy_flex_alloc
ascend-scanner.obj : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _realloc imported in function _yy_flex_realloc
wtap.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno
pppdump.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno
radcom.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno referenced in function _radcom_open
snoop.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno
visual.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno
nettl.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno
network_instruments.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp___errno

and so on and so forth for several screens. There appears to be an issue with the C runtime library (errno, strncmp, fwrite, etc. all have similar linker errors).

Has anyone seen this before and is willing to break the Visual Studio .NET glass ceiling to lend a thought?

Kind regards,

Ben

--
Benjamin M. Stocks