Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-users] capture from a fifo

From: Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:00:14 +0100
[Moving this to the dev list...]

Richard van der Hoff wrote:
Has wireshark stopped supporting capture from a fifo recently?

I'm sure I used to be able to do things like the following:

$ mkfifo fifo
$ (cat cap; sleep 5; cat cap) > fifo &
$ tshark -i fifo

But it now dies after the first batch of packets with "tshark: Error while capturing packets: Error reading from pipe: Resource temporarily unavailable".

I've now tracked this down. Interestingly it's limited to tshark, which might help explain why nobody else has noticed it.

The problem is that tshark now uses the capture_loop stuff, which is written to use non-blocking I/O on fifos; however, (unlike dumpcap) tshark doesn't do a select() on the file descriptor to check input is available before reading.

Ulf - I notice you made the relevant change here (r16787) - is there any reason why tshark shouldn't use capture_loop_dispatch to do its processing, rather than attempting to use cap_pipe_dispatch or pcap_dispatch directly?

Cheers

Richard