Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark_0.99.2-1_i386.changes REJECTED

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 02:28:02 -0700
Frederic Peters wrote:

This is about those files:

  epan/epan.c
  epan/exceptions.h
  epan/dfilter/gencode.h
>   epan/dfilter/glib-util.c
>   epan/dfilter/glib-util.h

I think Gilbert Ramirez contributed the original versions of those; I think all the rest of his contributions are GPL'ed - Gilbert, any reason not to add a GPL comment to them?

  epan/dissectors/packet-bootparams.h
>   epan/dissectors/packet-mount.h

Nathan Neulinger contributed those; the corresponding C files are GPL'ed. I don't know if he's still reading the lists.

  epan/dissectors/packet-nfs.h
  epan/dissectors/packet-nlm.h

I think Uwe Girlich contributed those; again, the corresponding C files are GPL'ed. I don't know if he's still reading the lists.

  epan/dissectors/packet-x11-keysym.h

Christophe Tronche contributed that; epan/dissectors/packet-x11.c is GPL'ed. I don't know if he's still reading the lists.

  gtk/win32-file-dlg.h

Gerald?  That one's yours, I think....

  tools/lemon/cppmagic.h

I'm not sure whether that comes with Lemon or if we added it.

Also there are two other files missing details, where it would just
need confirmation:
  - epan/in_cksum.h, but in_cksum.c is marked BSD

That one's arguably mine - none of the declarations are from BSD - I added the vec_t structure and the declaration of in_cksum_shouldbe(). Given that in_cksum.c is copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California with a 3-clause BSD license, I guess we could put that license on in_cksum.h.

  - epan/dfilter/grammar.h, but grammar.c is marked LGPL

grammar.c is a generated file; the license comes from Lemon - see the comment at the beginning. grammar.h is also generated by Lemon; for better or worse, it adds no copyright notice to it.

For packages that, in their source tarballs, include generated files, such as the output of yacc/bison/lex/flex/lemon/etc., is there a standard Debian policy on whether the build process should rebuild them, or just use the versions that come with the source tarball?

The last remaining problem is epan/dissectors/packet-diameter-defs.h
which is noted copyright (c) 2005 by Anders Broman and has no license
attached.

It now has a GPL copyright notice on it - Anders added it on July 19th.