Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] cannot get a handle on HTTP dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:48:43 -0700
Steve Grinwis wrote:

I�m writing a dissector for a protocol that has an HTTP payload that I would like to dissect, But when I call find_dissector(�http�); it returns NULL.

Are you calling this in the register routine or the register-handoff routine? There's no guarantee that any given find_dissector() call (other than calls to a dissector you just registered in the same routine) will succeed in a register routine, because there's no guarantee of the order in which register routines are called. However, no register-handoff routines are called until all the register routines are called.