Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Repository updates

From: Neil Piercy <Neil.Piercy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:48:30 +0100
Hi,

I follow what has been done to the SVN fine, but I'm still confused about what is intended in the future for the separate trunks:

Will a new trunk be produced for every release ?

If so, do they represent a snapshot which is then left frozen ? If not frozen, what is the intended maintenance: just major bugs fixes ?

If not, should the trunks be "trunk-1.0-stable" etc ? If so, what is the intended maintenance: Cosmetic fixes ? New dissectors ? New capture methods ?

Should patches (for whatever maintenance regime is used) by the non-core team be produced as patches against the main trunk only, or all trunks - i.e. is the maintenance also community-driven or by the core developers taking decisions about which patches to apply to the non-main trunk(s) ?

This issue has bubbled around a bit, so I'm slightly hesitant even to raise it again, but I'm not convinced any answers were clearly communicated when the now-defunct trunk-1.0 was created, but its demise certainly reopens it IMHO.

Regards,
Neil

Gerald Combs wrote:
As discussed last week, I've made the following changes to the SVN
repository:

  Copied revision 18388 of "/trunk-1.0" to
  "/prerelease/wireshark-0.99.1pre1".

  Moved "/trunk-1.0", "/branches", and "/tags" to "/historic".

  Copied "/trunk" to "/trunk-0.99.2".

I'm working on the 0.99.2pre1 release right now.

If you need any help visualizing the new repository layout, please
visit

    http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/