Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Ethereal-dev] Re: Kismet protocol dissector

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:58:24 +1000

On 7/13/06, Krzysztof Burghardt <krzysztof@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

> 1, please create a WIKI page on wiki.wireshark.org for this protocol.

Done, see it here:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Kismet_Client/Server_Protocol
http://wiki.ethereal.com/Kismet_Client/Server_Protocol

Nice!

However,   port 2501 is registered for the rtsclient protocol   and unless kismet is the same as rtsclient
it would be incorrect to refer to this as  a well-known port for kismet.

further down on the page the port is referred to as the default port?

if it is a default port  you should add the port as a preference setting  which defaults to 2501  but can be changed by the user.

> 5,   is it possible to change the dissector to be a new style
> dissector   returning gboolean instead of an oldstyle returning void?

Here is a (small) problem. I changed dissector, so it use gboolean and
always return true, but I have no idea how to check if it is kismet or
not. Some suggestions?

Kismet is an ASCII based protocol?
 If so you may check that the first 8 bytes of the tvb (if there are 8 bytes or more) are actual ascii values  >32 <128  ?

You have a lot of
offset += next_token - line; linelen -= next_token - line; line = next_token;
can you break these up to one assignment/statement per row  and add a blank line after each proto_tree_add_text() to separate the dissection block for each field out from eachothers