Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Videos (was: Re: Preliminary Interest Gauging:Usability Revi

From: "Jacques, Olivier \(OpenCall Test Infra\)" <olivier.jacques@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:53:08 +0200
> > I could do some of them. You can do that full free/Open
> Source tools so
> > that everybody can contribute (I did it for this site:
> > http://gull.sourceforge.net/).
> > What is the best place to put them? I would tend to say
> that the Wiki is
> > adapted - but I'm not sure moinmoin allows it.
> > Olivier.
>
> Yes. The OSS tools work well. I'd like to see the videos at
> http://www.wireshark.org/docs/, personally. I can get user
> suggestions for
> videos, if you are interested. Some ideas I have are:
>
> - Basic start up and use (capturing, reading files and saving files,
> expanding protocol views, hilighting packet sections, etc.)
> - Filtering (and colorizing)
> - Following TCP streams
> - H.323 call analysis

In case some want to start doing videos, here is what I use to generate
flv (flash) movies (this is on windows - so not fully free and with
OSS).

1. Generate a screen video capture with Windows Media Encoder (wmv
format)
2. Use mencoder to encode in FLV format, 15fps, mp3, one key frame every
2 second:
	mencoder "InputFile" -ffourcc FLV1 -of lavf -ofps 15
               -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=300:keyint=30:acodec=mp3:abitrate=56
               -srate 22050 -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames
               -o "OutputFile.flv" -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=24:mode=3 -quiet"
3. Use flvmdi (http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/ - free to use) to add meta
data to FLV videos:
	flvmdi.exe  /k "OutputFile.flv"
4. Use an flv player on the html page.
	http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash+Video+Player or
	http://resources.neolao.com/flash/components/player_flv (doc in
French (I can help with that :) ), but more flexible)

An alternative to generate the screen capture with flv on other OS is to
use vnc2swf: http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/

The advantage of using flash:
- A typical tutorial video is around 3Mbytes for 2.5 minutes and is
streamed (playback can start before entire video is downloaded.
- No brainer: no media player to install - flash players are installed
on 98% of all internet browsers, video is embedded in the page.

Olivier.