Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Question] Pcap header meaning...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:11:17 -0700
As Jeff Morriss noted when he closed bug 1016, "Hmmm, this doesn't sound like a *bug* to me, it sounds like a question. In the future, please utilize the mailing lists for such questions." Therefore, I'm replying on a mailing list, rather than in the bug.

In addition, as he also noted, "Anyway, please be aware that Ethereal is no longer maintained, it has moved to Wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org";, so I'm replying on the Wireshark developer's list.

But, i want to make it as follows:
In GSM network, for SMS packet data, I made *.pcap file by myself.
So, what can i input data link type in Global Header?
Is there any wireless network type?

There are wireless network types, but they're for 802.11, not for GSM.

If you want a DLT_ value for GSM, you will have to ask one for one. You ask on tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx; send mail to that address, indicating what the link-layer header would be (i.e., which interface is the lowest-level interface in the file). Once you get one, Ethereal can be modified to understand it.