Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Patch for IPMI 2.0 (RMCP Plus) dissector

From: "Allred, Jason A" <jason.a.allred@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:08:08 -0700

This patch allows the IPMI dissector to read IPMI 2.0 (RMCP Plus) packets per the spec at

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/spec.htm

Specifically Table 13-8, RMCP/RMCP+ Packet Format for IPMI via Ethernet

Its not quite complete, [OEM IANA] and [OEM Payload ID] are missing.  These are not present by default (i.e. IPMI Messages) and potentially go beyond the scope of this dissector.  The auth_offset changes should allow them to easily be added at a later time If needed.  I’ve occasionally been getting [Malformed packet] at the end of the (much more descriptive) RMCPP packet descriptions, probably due to slight padding differences not dealt with yet.

The patch was designed not to break IPMI 1.5, and it works from what I’ve tested.

The patch was mostly replacing “authtype ? :” with “auth_offset +” where appropriate.  I’m not a big fan of the ternary operator, and it didn’t help when a third option came in (authtype=6 is RMCPP).  “auth_offset” may be redundant with “offset” already in  use.  I didn’t want to risk changing the flow too much so the two are separate.

(Diff created against /trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-ipmi.c Revision 18412)