Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] SSL + DTLS

From: "authesserre samuel" <sauthess@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:50:53 +0200
hi,

in wiki you could make :

Secure Socket Layer (SSL)

SSL provides communication security between two hosts. It provides
integrity, authentification and confidentiality. It is used most of
time in web navigator but can be used for any protocol under TCP.

History

SSL is originally a Netscape project in association of MasterCard,
Bank of America, MDI & Silicon Graphics. First version SSLv1 wasn't
released, SSLv2 was replaced by SSLv3 in 1999 because of security
problem.
At this time, SSL became a standard so IETF bougth patent and create
TLS in 2001 (standard actually used and a derivation of SSLv3).

PS : correct my english ... (I'm a little bad ;) )

In the wireshark section I would say that decryption work only for RSA
key exchange ("if the RSA encryption key can be provided.")

part external link  :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer

link to understand basics cryptographic concept of ssl
http://eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/SSL.pdf

PPS : I have tried to change directly in wiki but it doesn't work (and
I think it's a good idea that person verify that I am writing isn't
full of mistakes ;))

regards,