Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Interesting problem with tshark

From: "Bryant Eastham" <beastham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:10:51 -0600
Title: Interesting problem with tshark

I have a set of related plugins that work fine in wireshark proper, but fail to work under tshark. They all worked fine as of ethereal 10.13 (the last ethereal that I used).

The base dissector watches for TCP/IP connections, parses off a network layer and the protocol number of the nested protocol. It has a registered table for subdissectors. This plugin works fine in tshark - I get summary lines from that base dissector, and in verbose mode it shows me the correct protocol numbers and packet lengths. However, none of the sub-dissectors, that work fine in wireshark, appear to run in tshark.

I currently use tshark for regression testing on trace files. Currently I have to disable all of these tests because of the seeming problem with tshark.

I have scanned the subversion log since the 0.99.1pre1 release and the bugzilla listings, but didn't immediately see anything related to the problem. Any hints?

Bryant Eastham
Chief Architect
Panasonic Electric Works Laboratory of America, Inc.
Salt Lake City Lab
4525 South Wasatch Blvd., Suite 100, Salt Lake City, Utah 84124
Phone : 801.993.7124 Email: beastham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 801.993.7260 Web: http://slc.mew.com