Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Last thing before release?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:19:08 +0200 (CEST)
Hi list,

Now that we've jumped from the Ethereal to the Wireshark bandwagon it is
time to get the users on board. This has to be done smoothly, a namechange
is difficult enough. One thing that comes to mind is importing
preferences. The user should have all the help he can get when upgrading.

So I propose to create an import 'wizard' that imports the Ethereal
application settings into Wireshark.

Why a wizard? It fullfills most (all?) scenarios:
1. simple upgrade from Ethereal to Wireshark
2. side-by-side installation of Ethereal and Wireshark.
3. Future proof, the feature has to remain in the program and can adapt
   old Ethereal application setting files when the format advances.

Only question remains, how do we guide the users to this import wizard,
without annoying then.

Tell me what you think.

Thanx,
Jaap