Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] file_read vs fread?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:41:20 -0700
Ravi Kondamuru wrote:

What is the difference in reading a file via file_read vs fread?

If Wireshark is built without support for reading gzipped files with zlib (probably because you don't have zlib available), nothing.

If it's built with support for reading gzipped files with zlib, file_read is a macro that calls gzread, so it'll handle gzipped files; fread doesn't handle gzipped files.