Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark, license & OpenSSL

From: Frederic Peters <fpeters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:08:06 +0200
Hello,

I just thought the name change was a good time to consider the subtle
change to COPYING so wireshark can be included in Debian linked
against OpenSSL.  For the record it would need the copyright holders
to agree on the following note:

   In addition, as a special exception, the authors gives permission
   to link the code of its release of Wireshark with the OpenSSL
   project's "OpenSSL" library (or with modified versions of it that
   use the same license as the "OpenSSL" library), and distribute the
   linked executables.  You must obey the GNU General Public License
   in all respects for all of the code used other than "OpenSSL".  If
   you modify this file, you may extend this exception to your version
   of the file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If you do not
   wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your version.

OpenSSL FAQ has some words on this:
  http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

Thanks for considering,

        Frederic