Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Ethereal-dev] Major announcement

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:17:17 -0500
I'm singling this question out due to its significance:

What happens if Gerald leaves CACE / gets hit by a bus / is bludgeoned
to death by Erwin Rol?  Specifically, what happens to the Wireshark
trademark?

I'll quit the project before we change the name again.  There's no way
I'm going through this crap a second time.  The trademark registrations
are in progress.  They'll initally be owned by me.

I'd like opinions from the community about where we should proceed after
that.  If you're comfortable with me holding the trademarks, I'd be
proud to do so.  If you'd rather see an organization formed to ensure
the continued success of the project, I'd be happy about that too.  If
you have any other (realistic, constructive) suggestions, please send them.

[ BTW, why aren't there more umbrella organizations for open source like
the ASF?  In particular, why isn't there an umbrella organization for
open source networking software? ]