Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Ethereal-dev] Major announcement

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:50:23 +0800

Erwin Rol wrote:
On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 17:06 -0500, Gerald Combs wrote:

[...]

All with all I think it is very disappointing how this was and still is
handled, it some how seems that core-developers distrust the other
developers and users.

I have to admit I was little shocked at first, too. But I also doubt Gerald and crew have meant to offend anyone nor do they distrust the other developers and users. One problem that sometimes arises, I think, is that if the leader of an open project such as this one starts a discussion in a public forum about a name change or fork or whatever a massive discussion ensues with everyone and their brother offering an opinion. That's all fine and good but if the leader has already made up his or her mind about it then everyone has just wasted their breath and/or gets even more upset when the leader makes the change because they think the leader has ignored their opinion. In the end, the project isn't a democracy. People can discuss it before the change (if it's announced beforehand) or after the change (as we are now), but how much does it really matter which case is taken?