Wireshark-announce: [Wireshark-announce] Question about the private key of a home router for SSL dec

From: Wireshark announcements <wireshark-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:38:37 +0000
Dear all,

I hope you may be able to help me. I am trying to debug and understand my network but have run into trouble when handling SSL packets. To make it easier to understand where I am up to, here are some details:

  • Currently I am using Wireshark on a windows PC.
  • Clearly I have physical access to the router and network switches, and access to my router's configuration / diagnostics etc.
  • I understand that to view SSL packets in Wireshark I need to obtain the private key from the SSL certificate on the server, decrypt it with open SSL and then load it as a .pem into Wireshark. (I think that's correct, please tell me if not).

The problem I'm having is that I can't export any certificates in the .pfx Personal Information Exchange format which I need, to be able to export the private key with the certificate.

If I am using a standard home router like the linksys except it's made by 2wire, is there some way I can get it off there?

Thank you in advance and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

How

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!