Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Bug in .99 using tethereal?

From: "King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU)" <Greg.King@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:21:29 -0500
Or am I just calling this incorrectly?

I am trying to configure tethereal to capture 5 files each about 2M in
size and then stop.

tethereal -i eth1 -a filesize:2000 -a files:5 -w "capture"

I let this run for a few minutes and then look at the directory.

It is full of thousands of files like so:

-rw-------   1 root root     168 Apr 26 09:57 capture_20060426095758
-rw-------   1 root root     142 Apr 26 09:57
capture_03689_20060426095758
-rw-------   1 root root     100 Apr 26 09:57
capture_03690_20060426095758
-rw-------   1 root root     142 Apr 26 09:57
capture_03691_20060426095758
-rw-------   1 root root     168 Apr 26 09:57
capture_03692_20060426095758

When trying to count the number of files (ls | grep capture | wc -l) I
get

-bash: /bin/ls: Argument list too long

I ended up scripting the removal of the files and tried doing it this
way

tethereal -i eth1 -a files:5 -a filesize:2000 -w "capture"

Same result.

So then I tried

tethereal -i eth1 -a files:5 -b filesize:2000 -w "capture"

Same result.

Greg