Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Help

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:53:20 +0200
Bill Heinson wrote:
I administrator a 50 user network. (2003 Server) Internet access is through a local ISP who hosts our Email. 1.5M DSL. Internet speed goes into the toilet at regular intervals. Sometimes down to 26K, dial up speed. I have worked with the ISP but I suspect that a number of users are listening to streaming music or watching streaming video. I have a laptop with Ethereal hooked up to a 4 port hub. So far, in just capturing certain users, (network is static IP addressed) I have so much data, I can't make a lot of sense out of it. What I need to know is who is taking up a large amount of bandwidth at any given time. I would like to know where they are going, but this is secondary to the speed issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bill
You may try using the Statistics->Endpoints (IP tab) to see which IP address(es) uses most bandwidth. Then you filter the traffic using right click in this dialogs most interesting row.

Regards, ULFL