Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Hi

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:55:17 +0200
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:33:18PM -0700, Jenny Nguyen wrote:

> I am having Ethereal - Network Protocol Analyzer (Version 0.10.6) sw and
> try to capture the layer 2 ethernet frame with a specific
> ethernet type (ex: 0x200X). I am wondering if the software supports
> capturing frames with any ethernet type ?

I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly. The type field in
the ethernet frame refers to the protocol that is used in the payload
of the ethernet frame. For example, type 0x0800 refers to IP. This
can be selected by the capture filter:  "ether proto 0x0800". The
same manner can be used to filter out other ethernet-types.

I hope I answered *your* question and not my interpretation of it :)

Cheers,   Sake