Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] SSLv3 Encrypted Alert

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:20:57 +0200
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:49:49PM -0400, pykim@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am observing generally ~15 second delays during a web page load(within
> the same page, different resources are requested like css, gif, js,
> etc...).
> What I am seeing during those "hang" time is this ethereal log showing
> about ~15 second delay for SSLv3 Encrypted Alert.
>
> I believe we are using SonicWall SSL Offloader.  What should I look for
> next?  Any insight into this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Without the whole ssl-session (and also the backend-session) it is hard
to tell whether the following is the case, but I have encountered
problems like this with another brand ssl-offloader. The problem then
was that MSIE does not follow the SSL-standard in closing the ssl
session properly. Have a look at the modifications apache does in it's
standard httpd.conf (look for "ssl-unclean-shutdown").

Of course you might be encountering a totally different issue, but this
is what pops up in my mind straight away from your story :)

Hope this helps, Cheers,   Sake