Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Only Seeing Outgoing Packets

From: "Simon Bradley" <simonbrads@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:17:00 -0000
Lots of very interesting and useful information about dual-speed hubs.
Thanks very much! However, when I referenced this:

> > "Every port automatically operates at the proper speed, while the
> > built-in self-learning 10 to 100 Mbps bridge automatically discovers
> > where each user is and filters or forwards traffic accordingly."

I was actually thinking that the hub was maybe doing even more of a
switch-like behaviour than simply splitting 10 and 100 Mbps traffic.

All three devices (modem, router, and laptop) are set up to run at 100 Mbps,
and the lights on the front of the hub confirm that they are all connected
at 100 Mbps.

I tried setting the laptop's network card to 10 Mbps, just to confirm, and,
as expected, then I saw nothing at all, neither incoming nor outgoing.

Cheers,

Simon