Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Only Seeing Outgoing Packets

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:39:14 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:
I've expanded that part of the HubReference page to give more detail, describing the scenario I outlined in an earlier message.
Just slightly redesigned that page ...
I'm assuming there are at least two types of dual-speed hubs - one type with *no* bridge between the speeds, which I assume means that a 10Mb/s host and a 100Mb/s host plugged into the hub can't communicate at all (so there's no traffic between them to capture),
Yes, the Level One hub I own doesn't have a bridge at all and shows exactly that behaviour. The "guy" at the trade fair where I bought it a long time ago told me that it *has* a bridge :-(

... and the thing was really expensive at that time ...
and one type with a switch between them (so that broadcast and multicast traffic are passed between the speeds, and unicast traffic is passed to the port to which it's being sent), which I assume means that a 10Mb/s host and a 100Mb/s host plugged into the hub can communicate, but another host plugged into the hub can only see one side of the conversation.

(Are there any dual-speed hubs that pass *all* traffic? I could imagine a lot of 100Mb/s traffic flooding a 10Mb/s port in that case.)

Hmmm, never thought about it, but it makes sense that the bridge in a dual speed hub must have (at least some) switching like capabilities.

Regards, ULFL