Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Only Seeing Outgoing Packets

From: "Simon Bradley" <simonbrads@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:37:52 +0000
Hi all,

I'm trying to monior activity on my (pretty simple) home network. The setup is like this:

- Internet in via cable to cable modem
- Cable modem connected to Netgear hub
- Hub connected to Linksys WRT54GS wireless router
- Hub also connected to laptop (the monitor)
- Desktop PC connects to the router via wire
- Various laptops connect to the router via wireless

It nearly all works, except for one major problem: I only see outgoing packets! For example, when I view a webpage, I see the HTTP GETs, but none of the responses. (The source IP of the packets is that of the modem, and the destination is obviously that of the website.)

It's the same with email (I see POP requests but not the incoming messages); and I only see the messages I'm sending in MSN Messenger conversations.

There is no capture filter set, and no display filter set.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd be very grateful to hear them! :)

Thanks,

Simon