Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Another promiscuous mode question

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:10:25 +0100
Ran.Shenhar@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I've seen http://ethereal.com/faq.html#q7.6 and the links.
I'm connected to a HUB, which my promiscuous mode worked with before, but
not anymore... (I might have changed driver since, don't remember)

I'm running ethereal 0.10.14 (and tried also with .13),
on Win XP pro,
NIC is Intel PRO/1000 MT with driver 8.5.14.0 from 08/03/2005,
under "link" dialog, I see Intel PROset 10.0.27.0

Is there any configuration change I can do to get my promiscuous mode back?

I must say that it works fine on my WiFi network!!
I'm assuming that this was once working and the hardware and cabling topology didn't changed in the meantime (so it still should be working).

No setting in Ethereal beside the obvious "Capture packets in promiscuous mode" checkbox in the Capture Options dialog box exist.

Please note that Ethereal itself get's the packets transparently from WinPcap, and there is no configuration in WinPcap that I know of. You might ask the WinPcap team if they know any help.

You may also try to use a different WinPcap version (e.g. 3.0 or 3.1 beta 4) or a different network card driver.

Regards, ULFL