Ethereal-users: RE: [SPAM?] [Ethereal-users] Tcp Retransmission acceptable %

From: "Hildebrand, Brian" <BrianHildebrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:52:55 -0600
If I were looking at a local switched ethernet network that is properly setup, I wouldn't expect to see any retransmissions in a trap and would probably go looking around if I were seeing them regularly (even if it didn't make up 1% of the traffic). Of course, with a hub in place all bets are off because of collisions. Over a high speed Internet connection I would probably do a little looking into it at 1% and start worrying at 5%. For instance, on my Internet connections (both home and work) I rarely ever see a true retransmission. There are no guarantees on the Internet though.

If you are looking at a trap that is giving you concern, you might want to download TCPTrace and verify with it that the packets are true retransmissions, probably wouldn't hurt to manually check sequencing numbers either. I ran into an issue in the past where Ethereal was reporting out of order packets as retransmissions. I don't know if it has been fixed yet or not, but now I manually verify sequence numbers on suspected retransmissions and run them through TCPTrace as well just to make sure.