Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Very Strange Problem

From: Scott Solmonson <scosol@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:39:35 -0800
On 1/13/06 3:18 PM, "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Darwin 7.9.0 is the core of OS X 10.3.9, but the libz that comes with
> 10.3.9 is libz 1.1.4.
>
> You're presumably building with some other version of libz...

Indeed.

> Tethereal doesn't do random access on files - Ethereal does.

Actually I misspoke here (corrected in a later email) Tethereal works for
capture->screen and capture-> file but not read-from-file.

> I suspect the libz you're building with somehow defeats the heroic efforts
> I put into "wiretap/file_wrappers.c" to try to cope with various flavors
> of libz brokenness, and this is causing random access to the file not to
> work.

That's unfortunate- you'd think that there wouldn't be so much hackery
involved in dealing with a lib with such a simple purpose...

> Or change the Shiny New Libz to forcibly define "z_off_t" to "long" in its
> "zconf.h" file, and then do "make clean" and "make" in the Ethereal source
> directory.

That fixed it- much thanks :)

-SS
--