Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Dropped packets while Capturing to a File -How can I tell??

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:33:44 +0100
Feeny, Michael (TD&DS, Applications Infrastructure Svcs.) wrote:

OK, so...

The only way for me to know if packets were dropped during a capture, is
to look at the status line at the bottom of the screen after a capture
finishes, right?
You can get that info from Statistics/Summary too, but again this info will be gone when you close the file.

And, am I correct in inferring that, if Ethereal *wanted* to include
information on 'drops' in the capture file, this would conflict with the
libpcap file format, and would make Ethereal capture files unreadable by
other tools?  Is that the issue?
Exactly.

There's a new libpcap file format in development which will include such information.

But it will take some time until it's available for use in Ethereal (no predictions when this will be the case), so no solution for now ...

Regards, ULFL