Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] performance hit for gig links

From: "Javier Torres" <Javier.Torres@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:15:18 -0500
Hello,
I have tried upgrading for my issue so I am on the latest 10.14 version
of the software.
I had to install on a Windoze machine because that is what the guys here
are comfortable with.
Since it is windows I got a dual 2.8Gh proc machine and installed 4 gig
of memory.  The os running on this box is 2003 server.  When I try to do
captures on my gig links the machine freaks out.  The cpu's spike to 100
and I lose the box for the most part.  I need to stop the capture in
order to calm the box down.  When I do this with 100 meg links the
machine is more manageable.

I have resorted to doing captures with windump then reading back the
file with Ethereal.  Has anyone had similar issues and if so how were
you able to overcome them?

Thanks,
Javier

<<<Disclaimer>>>

In compliance with applicable rules and regulations, Instinet
reviews and archives incoming and outgoing email communications,
copies of which may be produced at the request of regulators.
This message is intended only for the personal and confidential
use of the recipients named above.  If the reader of this email
is not the intended recipient, you have received this email in
error and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately by return email and
permanently delete the copy you received.

Instinet accepts no liability for any content contained in the
email, or any errors or omissions arising as a result of email
transmission. Any opinions contained in this email constitute
the sender's best judgment at this time and are subject to change
without notice.   Instinet does not make recommendations of a
particular security and the information contained in this email
should not be considered as a recommendation, an offer or a
solicitation of an offer to buy and sell securities.