Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Help with the Rules of TCP/IP

From: "DAIGLE, ANDREW PAUL" <ADAIG90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:35:52 -0600
Not only is it legal, but every packet in a data transfer should have the ACK flag set. A PSH flag is not required to send data, but when used, tells the receiver to immediately "push" whatever data it currently has in the TCP receive buffer up to the receiving application.

The TCP repeated retransmissions you are seeing are called an exponential backoff. The receiver is not acknowledging the packets being sent by the sender, therefore the sender is assuming that these packets have been lost and is retransmitting them. You can also tell this from the delta time column. If you filter out the single conversation in question, you will see the delta time doubling between each retransmission. The default number of retries before giving up on a TCP connection is 5 on the Windows operating system.

To find out more info, first check out the TCP RFC 793. There are several great books out there on TCP/IP like Stevens "TCP/IP Illustrated", Hall's "Internet Core Protocols", and Kozierok's newly published "The TCP/IP Guide".

Andrew