Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How to discriminate SIP packet among UDP packets?

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:05:10 +0200
Ethereal should normally succeed to decode a SIP-message even if it is not sent to or from port 5060.
There is a heuristic SIP dissector that will decode messages that looks like SIP-messages (by looking for "SIP/2.0"
in the header of the message).

However my own experience is that it might miss some messages due to that the port number is used for some other
protocol and that Ethereal will try to disset the message using that protocol instead.

If you have a capture and want to find the packets with "SIP/2.0" then you can use the folowing display filter:

udp contains "SIP/2.0"

You can then try to see if these packets are decoded by another dissector and maybe disable that protocol:
Analyze/Enabled Protocols...